Monday, August 03, 2015

iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon

"iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon", by Steve Wozniak with Gina Smith, is the autobiography of Steve Wozniak. I only knew little about him, like he was the other Steve who got Apple started. After reading this book, I admire him as a person and can relate to him a lot (I myself am a software developer), especially the portions about having an open mind, not trusting authorities and trying to build a better/just world. It also gave me ideas about how to spark interest in my 3 year old son.

Highlights:
...as an engineer you can change your world and change the way of life for lots and lots of people.

I’m a bit more independent and radical and consider intelligence the ability to think about matters on your own and ask a lot of skeptical questions to get at the real truth, not just what you’re told it is.

I saw that the government would do whatever it could to beat a citizen, that it was just a game. And this was the exact opposite of the way I had thought of government my whole life. That episode taught me an important lesson about government, authority, even the police. You couldn’t trust them to do the right thing.

Those exchanges dissolved forever in me the effects of a lifetime of propaganda about the Soviet people being our enemies.

If I couldn’t have been an engineer, I would’ve been a teacher. Not a high school teacher, not a college teacher. A fifth-grade teacher.

I felt these were really mighty goals in life: looking consciously at the sort of person you want to be, the sort of life you want to live, the sort of society you want to help build. 

No comments: