Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Job attitude

Recently some novice engineers complained about their work, saying that it was boring. My own attitude towards my work is first and foremost "am I useful, do I add value". If I am not able to answer that question with a resounding yes, I have to find ways to make myself useful. Only after that do I allow myself to ask for more.

If you take initiative instead of complaining, you will go a long way, especially in fast growing environments, where there are many new challenges whose solutions nobody knows yet.

Similarly, if someone outside my workplace asks for my services, my first question is never "how much will you pay me" but "how can I be of help to you, is this problem worth solving".

As long as you keep on adding value, responsibility, respect and money will follow.

No comments: