Saturday, May 25, 2019

The secret to happiness

I have finally discovered the secret to happiness and I would like to share it with you [drumroll...]: It is doing the simple things every day! That doesn't sound very inspiring, does it? People expect some heroics that they have to do only a few times and then become fit, successful, effective, i.e. most of the prerequisites for a happy life. And they like explanations like genius and luck because it absolves them of guilt. Examples of simple things resulting in huge benefits in the long run:
If you are among the 90% who say that they don't have time, my answer is that your priorities are not right. What could possibly be better than investing in your health and child? Watching movies?

I once had a conversation with an uncle, about 65 years old. He said that he would give everything he had to be 20 years younger. He was in good health for his age. I asked him "uncle, 20 years from now, you will say the same thing again. Do you live your life in a way that someone would give his everything for?" My uncle kept silent...

Interestingly, when you tell others about learning how to fish, instead of having been handed a fish, they all nod in agreement. In reality, they want the fish! Recently I was chatting with my aunt, whose daughter plans to study abroad. I was giving advice about what to do. My aunt got impatient and said "Şamil, don't tell us what to do, do it for us". I became indignant and replied "if it was possible, you would be happy if I entered the university exam in her place, wouldn't you?!" She sheepishly said yes.

Seeing how difficult this simple action is for most, I became more motivated to instill perseverance in my child. And as you know, the only way to teach a child anything is to do it yourself and be an example first.

No comments: