Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Applied Mathematics

Recently I helped my cousin with her integral questions. They were about areas between curves. This made me think if there were any applications of this that I personally know of and came to the conclusion that I don't know any. I decided to make a list of mathematical subjects that I apply in my work so that I can motivate students who are exposed to them for the first time:
  1. Trigonometry (sine, cosine)
  2. Quadratic equations
  3. Vectors in 3D, derivative of vectors in rotating reference frames
  4. Linear algebra. Cross product, dot product. Matrix multiplication: Used in rotating objects in 3D
  5. Basic integral
  6. Basic derivative
  7. Differential equations (2nd order ODE)
  8. Taylor Series (for linearization and as a starting point of numerical integration)
  9. Interpolation
  10. Gaussian distribution. Regression. Bayes' Theorem. Markov Chain. Kalman Filter
  11. Fourier Transform

No comments: