Thursday, July 06, 2023

Filtering software product ideas

A typical response I get from people when they learn that I am a software developer is, "I have this app idea X, does it have potential? Would you be willing to implement it?" In software, any idea can have potential, so dismissing it outright is not logical. My default answer is, "That's a fine idea. If you write a concept of operation document detailing how the app will be used and why it would be useful, I promise that I will design and code your first version (MVP) for free," and I genuinely mean it.

This approach benefits me in three ways. Firstly, by refraining from saying 'no', I show respect for their ideas and creativity, thereby avoiding potential hurt feelings. Secondly, it allows me to focus on truly promising and well-thought-out projects, rather than getting bogged down in evaluating every idea that comes my way. Lastly, if an idea does prove to be good, I gain the opportunity to create value.

However, despite my promise to work for free, I rarely receive a concept of operation document. It's easy to have an idea but difficult to write it down. Also, when writing it down, they think more about it and usually realize that it wasn't as impressive as they initially thought.

Music: Damon Albarn - Sister Rust

No comments: