Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Social Media Diet

As someone whose job requires strategy development, team management, design and software development, concentration is my main asset. When left unchecked, social media consumes a lot of concentration. My social media habits are as follows:
  • I do not watch TV. I rarely watch any movies since I have already watched the best ones.
  • My main sources of information are my YouTube subscriptions. I spend at least 1 hour a day watching videos of those channels. They are related to technology, lifestyle and business, with the occasional cat video sprinkled in between.
  • I listen to podcasts or ebooks while commuting.
  • All notifications on my mobile are turned off.
  • On my mobile, do not disturb is automatically turned on after 22:00.
  • Most Whatsapp groups are in silent mode.
  • I don't have Facebook, Instagram, Twitter on my mobile.
  • I have Facebook on my laptop. Most of my contacts on Facebook are in unfollow mode. This cleans up my Facebook page and let's me spend less than 5 minutes a day on Facebook. I use Facebook mainly as a photo album of friends, not as a source of information.
  • I don't look at my mobile while eating or in WC.
These habits free up a lot of time compared to the majority of people who seem to be addicted to their mobile. I spend that time on deep thought which provides me with lots of ideas that I note in Gmail, Calendar or Drive.

No comments: