Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Why I switched to Paint.Net

I am a man of simple needs, that's why for a long time my favorite image editing software has been... mspaint. I use it mainly for resizing images, adding text and highlighting a section. It has minimum clutter and is simple to use. But on my vista laptop mspaint started to refuse to open images prepared by mspaint itself! I searched the web and even asked for help on superuser. People told me to switch to Paint.Net. So I did.

Evaluation:

* Good: Line angles can be in increments of 15 degrees (instead of 45 as in mspaint)
* Good: You can put arrows at line ends
* Good: You can have different line types
* Good: Crop to selection (instead of manually adjusting the size in mspaint which requires good mouse handling skills and sharp eyes to detect resizing handles)
* Good: Easy zoom in-out. I curse the designer of vista mspaint who introduced many zoom levels. It was much easier in XP.
* Good: You can write text even when zoomed in
* Good: Magic wand to remove unwanted backgrounds
* Good: Shows length of line
* Good: Can open multiple files at once

* Bad: It is not as easy as in mspaint to create a transparent selection for moving elements in picture closer to each other. In mspaint you just make a selection and click transparent background option. In Paint.Net you have to create a second layer with transparent background. Draw on the second layer, never on the background layer. With a single background layer, even the background will erase the underlying image:



* Bad: To move a portion of the image you first have to select it (shortcut S), then click move (shortcut M)
* Bad: Choosing an image quality option every time you do "save as" is annoying. It should remember your setttings and not ask again, especially when you just want to resize a couple of images.

* Getting used to: When you use the eraser tool, it deletes the background. You have to use the paintbrush with right-click (to paint in white)

* Promising: Rumor has it that future versions of paint.net might have batch editing. I would like to do multiple resizing (can be done with IrfanView).

Update 22 Oct 09: I also had a look at Gimp. It is a nightmare for a primitive guy like me. I couldn't even select a portion of the picture and move it. It took me 5 minutes to figure it out!

2 comments:

starf said...

Gimp'e de bir göz atın bence.

Rahmi Lale said...

Fotoğrafın kendisini edit etmediğin işlerde vektorel programları öneririm. Misal Inkspace yukarıda gösterdiğin hadiseleri yaratmak için birebir. Açık kaynak kodlu zibil başka program da mevcut.